The road we call Westgate (updated)

This is a comprehensive rewrite and expansion of my original 2017 post, recently undertaken by Dr Richard Brownfield. It pulls together a lot of different sources and is as full a historic description of the street as can be achieved. A major piece of research and a fascinating read.

Westgate is the road that left Chichester by the West Gate leading out of the Roman walls. The actual gate was demolished in 1773 but the south pillar is still standing, complete with a hinge (pintle), beside the Indian Restaurant. Westgate is also used to describe the ancient western suburb of St Bartholomew’s in Chichester, which grew up along the road that emerged beyond the West Gate.

Continue reading The road we call Westgate (updated)

The Chichester Walls and Gates

The Roman army, after landing at Fishbourne in AD 43, set up a camp on the site which is now modern Chichester and fortified it with a wooden wall. The town was laid out on a grid with the main streets North and South Street, East and West Street, which crossed in the centre of the town. Where they met the wall there was a gate.

Continue reading The Chichester Walls and Gates

Westgate Archaeology

 This section is edited from articles published by Colin Hicks on the original Westgate Residents Association Website, which were adapted with their permission from an archaeological desk-based assessment prepared by SLR Consulting Ltd on behalf of Chichester College in 2013. Richard Brownfield has very usefully brought these all together, updated and developed them to create a fascinating tour of the history of the western/St Bartholomew’s suburb.

Continue reading Westgate Archaeology

The Westgate Fields

To the south of Westgate were fields and meadows, until the construction of Chichester College in the 1960s. Much of the land belonged to the Dean, and in the 12th century, when he desired to open “a way from his garden to his land and orchards between the wall and the river Lavant”, he had to obtain a licence from the king to make a postern gate. This gate, which can be dated between 1178–1180, is clearly recognisable in the Deanery Garden.

Continue reading The Westgate Fields

History of The Tannery (61-65 Westgate)

Residents

The Undershill family, who turned out to be tanners, are first recorded in the parish in 1526, when they acquire the share of a lease of 20 acres of land with a house. John Undershill is the earliest documented reference to tanning in St. Bartholomew’s when, in 1549, he witnesses the will of John Parker as a tanner.

Continue reading History of The Tannery (61-65 Westgate)

History of 39-59 Westgate

Known informally as the Tannery Cottages, nos. 39–59 Westgate form a neat row of 10 workman’s cottages.

Originally occupied by tannery workers, these were bought – probably after 1871 – by the Henty family and used for their brewery employees. No information has yet been found of their construction date.

Continue reading History of 39-59 Westgate

The other branch of the Shippam Family

In our article on nos. 27-39 Westgate, much space was given to the Shippam sausage and grocery business which occupied this site in the 19th century. This was not however the branch of the Shippam family of Shippam Pastes renown. That business was founded by a different member of the family but, confusingly with the same name. This article completes the story of the Shippam family but is not of direct relevance to the history of Westgate.

Continue reading The other branch of the Shippam Family

History of 23-25 Westgate

Along with no 25, no 23 is one of a pair of workman’s cottages

Roy Morgan writes:

“The house is recorded as far back as 1379 and is also mentioned in 1570. The pair of cottages are recorded in land tax records from 1780 and are shown on Gardner’s map of 1797”. 

No. 23 specifically occurs twice elsewhere in the story of this street: 

Continue reading History of 23-25 Westgate
Translate »
error: Content is protected !!