History of 34 Westgate

This property is the former “Waggon and Lamb” public house.

A recent owner of the house believed that the original frontage of the house was one room back, with a yard in front of the house for waggons to park; or with the road running further to the north than its current course, thus allowing a yard in front of the farmhouse opposite. If this is correct the new front was added after 1642 and probably when the Georgian rebuilding took place.

Continue reading History of 34 Westgate

History of 32 Westgate

As elsewhere on this website, we are grateful to local historian Alan H J Green for permission to reproduce this report of a visit he made to the property

“No 32 is one of several 17C timber-framed houses on the north side of Northgate, doubtless rebuilt soon after the sack of Westgate by William Waller’s troops in 1642. As with the others in this terrace it received a Georgian brick front in the 18C. It is abutted on the west by the former Waggon and Lamb public house and on the east by another (smaller) house. It was originally numbered 38 but at some time between 1939 and 1950, when Westgate was converted to ‘odds and evens’, it was renumbered 32. It is listed Grade II. 

Continue reading History of 32 Westgate

History of 20 Westgate

More is currently known of the former occupiers of this property than of the building itself, with a strong connection to local family, the Holts.

John Ogburn Holt Snr. had been born in Chichester on 9th April 1846 at 36 Westgate. By 1891 he was living at number 20 (then 44). In the house with him were his wife Elizabeth also 45, and his children John Ogburn Jnr. (9), twins William George and Emma (3), and Lizzie Helen Mary (1). By 1901 he had moved to 9+11 Westgate over the road. 

Continue reading History of 20 Westgate

History of 16 Westgate

Another property in the possession of the Holt family.

John Ogburn Holt Snr, aged 25, had moved in by 1871. He had previously lived with his father and mother at no. 36, where he had been born. He had married Elizabeth Pile. By 1881 they had five children, Bernice (13), Charles John (12), Janice Mary (10), Emma (6), and William George (1).

Continue reading History of 16 Westgate

Hidden Westgate Histories 9: Demolished properties Northside

As detailed in Hidden Histories no 8, properties 2-10 were demolished in 1963

Number 8

James JEFFERIES was a private, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers. 29th Division when he was killed in action on 15.7.17. In 1911, he was living with his wife Sarah at no. 52 Westgate – the old number, which became 8 and was then demolished in 1963. He was employed as a Hopman at the Brewery. He is buried in the Bard Cottage Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium but memorialised on his wife Sarah’s gravestone, plot 15 in the churchyard of St James’ Church in Birdham. His name is on St Bartholomew’s church war memorial, now the Chichester City Arts Centre. 

Continue reading Hidden Westgate Histories 9: Demolished properties Northside
Translate »
error: Content is protected !!