History of 11 Westgate

Research by Clive Rogers (current owner). 

This house has an internal Tudor wall, but the timber framework within the roof void reveals that that this would originally have been external. The roof timbers at the southern end of the property appear to be a later addition during the “Georgification” of the street. A fireplace was installed in this room with a tall chimney stack, later demolished.

Continue reading History of 11 Westgate

The History of 7-9 Westgate

This article concerns Nos 7 and 9 Westgate, which was a whole house previously known as no.4 and then no. 11 Westgate from 1950 – 1987. 

The numbering of the houses in Westgate started in about 1900 and it has been a confusing experience for anyone trying to identify which property is which. In the 1901 census, this house is confirmed as 4 Westgate, a numbering which continued until the 1939-45 war. After the war, the whole street was renumbered, with odd numbers to the south side, and the house became no.11 Westgate. It was then divided into two in 1988 and renumbered at the same time as the rest of “The Georgian Priory” development, to become numbers 7 and 9.

Continue reading The History of 7-9 Westgate

3-9 Westgate as The Georgian Priory

This is a residential development of 11 units originally converted in 1985/6 from the buildings of the old Theological College in Westgate by the Abbey Building Association Ltd. (which became the Abbey National Building Society). It is run by a resident’s management company.

Continue reading 3-9 Westgate as The Georgian Priory

Hidden Westgate Histories 10: Demolished properties Southside

The following properties to the south side of Westgate were demolished in 1963 to make way for the Avenue de Chartres and the Chichester inner ring road.

For information concerning the lost buildings to the north side of Westgate, please click here.

Continue reading Hidden Westgate Histories 10: Demolished properties Southside

History of 68 Westgate

These notes on the history of this property are by Anne Sparrow. Historic references are in bold to assist further research.

“When we bought No. 68 Westgate, on the deeds it was noted that it was originally called ‘Westgate Close’ [also “Crantock” in Kelly’s directory 1938 – RNB]. The name appeared on the wooden gate that was seldom used, owing to the regular use by our two cars, which were accommodated in an unusual double garage beneath an adjoining flat.

Continue reading History of 68 Westgate

History of 52 Westgate

This large Georgian property was to become part of The Westgate Brewery. 

The Humphreys

In 1780, William Humphrey (Snr) bought land in Scuttery Fields to build some malthouses. The brewery itself was installed on the adjoining site, where today’s no. 52 had stood as a dwelling house since about 1750: the date inscribed on the building is 1751.

Continue reading History of 52 Westgate

History of 48 Westgate

This house was for many years the head brewer or brewery manager’s house and called Brewery House to this day. The following fascinating and very valuable account by a resident of her life in this property, is quoted with permission from the CLHS magazine ‘Chichester History’, no. 23, p41 

THE SLOE FAIR ‘SQUIRTERS’ by Ruth Bagnall (née Randell) 

” I was born in 1912 at the Brewery House (then number 31 Westgate, Chichester), as my father was Head Brewer at Henty’s Brewery. It was a pleasant Georgian house, with gardens at one side, and backing onto the brewery yard. The front door of the house opened straight onto the pavement. 

Continue reading History of 48 Westgate

History of 38 Westgate

More on the Holts. See the entries for nos. 16, 20 and 36 Westgate to complete the picture

As previously described, John Ogburn Holt, who had lived at nos. 7&9 Westgate, acquired a number of properties on Westgate which he let, of which this was one. He signed a lease on 11th August 1896 for no 35 (old number) for £200, including:

Continue reading History of 38 Westgate
Translate »
error: Content is protected !!